Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Add "All Pages"
Fashion in the 1920s
by Molly and Hayley - C Period
by Helen and Gates- E Period
The 1920's was the decade in which
entered the modern era! In this decade, as women began to gain more rights, their fashion certainly displayed their newly liberated selves. Women began to wear more comfortable clothes such as short skirts or pants. They also began to wear hats, and women's legs were seen with hemlines rising to the knee and dresses became more fitted. A more masculine look became popular, including flattened breasts and hips, short hairstyles such as the bob cut.
"Straight up and down jersey separates are typical Chanel style. This outfit is by the Mattita fashion house."
This video shows all sorts of fashions from the roaring twenties. Popular styles shown are the fur coats, short skirts and dresses, short hair, and showy jewelry.
Top left: 1917 ad for "Urodonal, Triumph of Modern Science," will cure you of "Rheumatism, Gravel, Gout, Arterio-Sclerosis, and Obesity," aclaimed by the medical profession for being"the most powerful solvent of uric acid, being 37 times more active than lithia."
Top right: 1922 ad for "The Ambedia Back Puff, A Woman's Difficulty Overcome."
Bottom left: illustration by Benito. "Achieving beauty without the use of make-up, using electricity and soft massages, that is the secret of the beauty specialist."
Bottom right: ad for The Polar Club Electric Vibrator enables every woman who cares about her appearance, to gain in the privacy of her own home the full benefits of electric massage -- the most successful and up-to-date treatment for preserving the beauty of the face and figure. Polar Club treatment really does remove wrinkles and hollows. Polar Club Electric massage is splendid for your scalp.
The Flapper Girl
The Flapper Girl often sported short dresses with sequins and flashy fabric
Flapper Girls are also known for performing the Charleston
Known be flirty
"A young woman, especially one in the 1920s, who showed disdain for conventional dress and behavior."
This video shows a performance of the typical Flapper Girl.
- Coco is famous for the simple "little black dress"
- She was the first to promote jersey material which was a loose and comfortable fabric for women's attire.
- Her designs are still popular to this day
- Neutral colors like black, navy, beige , and white were popular with her style in garment
- Coco started as a tailor and dress maker working under a madame in France
- She became popular and started making hats
- She ran away with her husband who gave her money to design her hats
- She then fell in love with her husbands best friend and he supplied her with the money to start her popular collection
- Chanel No. 5 was a popular perfume that is still made today
- Chanel is known as a classic, and sophisticated style that started in the 1920's
This video shows the style of Coco Chanel and what her style is.
- Shoes were more revealing
- This is the first time women really showed off their shoes so shoes became more elaborate
- Jems, bows, and beautiful silks, and vibrant colors were used
- A wrap around ankle strap was a popular asset to the shoes
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"